Saturday, February 4, 2017

My Sister's Wolf


My Sister's Wolf

By Deborah J Lindsey

My Sister and I are 8 years apart. I am the oldest and she is the youngest with 3 brothers in between.
Back in those far-off days of wood burning stoves, cow milking and butter churning, we shared a bed. I admit to being a cruel sister. This memory popped up the other day from somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind.

I invented this imaginary wolf. He was big as a house and his fur was black as night and he had horrible iron teeth that could make a quick work of anything or anyone. The best part about this beast was that he was totally devoted to me. All I h ad to do was call and he would be at my side in an instant ready to do my bidding.

I was cruel. I admit it. I threatened my poor Sis with this beast and she became my slave. She wouldn’t tell for fear I would set this monster on other members of the family. I had an easy time for a while but then one day, my resourceful Sis conjured up a wolf of her own.

Her wolf was far more superior than mine-bigger, stronger and meaner. Hers was a better fighter too and could tear my wolf in pieces in one second.

My pathetic, cowardly wolf shrank back in the dark place from which he had come. I don’t know what happened to Sis’ wolf but I suspect he is still out there somewhere lurking just waiting for her to call him. love you Sis.

C Copyright February, 2017 by Deborah J Lindsey

written in response to a writing prompt about brothers and sisters.

No comments: