Sunday, October 28, 2012

Thank You, Andrew


Thank You , Andrew

When I was at the Dr last week, a solider came in. He was dressed in camo, boots, GI hair cut. He signed the registry book and then took the only seat left- next to me. The medication bottles in his leg pocket bulged and rattled together as he sat down. I remember thinking that he probably had as many bottles as I did.

I studied him a moment and then said, “Sir, may I shake your hand and say thank you?”

His handshake was firm, his eyes gazed directly into mine.

“No. Thank you,” He said.
“I appreciate that more than you know.”

His eyes told the story. I sat thinking about all the sights those eyes must have seen comparing them to the mundane ordinary sights that filled my world.

“Thank you”, seemed such a small word.

“Andrew.”

I watched him rise and disappear through the door toward the exam rooms.

“Thanks again, Adrew,” my heart whispered.

“May God keep you safe.”

DJL
10/24/12

No comments: