Tuesday, October 6, 2009

History!

"Keep this copy for your records"

Today, I packed records! LP records, albums, and the devise to play them on. As I was sorting through history, putting this record and that one into the correct cover, I was suddenly awed by all I have seen. It was one of those moments- you knows the ones. The ones where if you were a cartoon, the light bulb would suddenly appear and be glowing and the caption would say, "Duh."

You get the light bulb when you are old and have seen a lot of stuff.

I sorted through the different record albums and noted the artists. James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, Simon and Garfunkle, Kenny Rogers, Glen Campbell, 2001, A Space Odyssey, The William Tell Overture, Patch, the Pirate Teaches Music, John Denver, Andy Williams, The Gatlin Brothers, Eagles. Fiddler on the Roof, The Sound of Music, Ed Ames... My Gosh!

And these records ... these were not packed somewhere in a closet! These are records I play often. (well, maybe not Patch, the Pirate) I took the tape deck/radio, CD player, record player unit from the counter next to the fridge, detached the speakers and packed them all.

So, here was history all in one box, one unit... the same artists... Gordon, Simon & Garfunkle, Glen, Ed, Andy, Kenny, John and the entire gang.. on LP - that means Long Playing.. 33. Big vinyl disks, one little hole. And here they all are again on cassette tapes...again on CD and yet again.. on my I-POD.

So! It is true.. history repeats itself!

No comments: